I saw part of "Pluto Nash" on tv last night. It is a scifi comic thriller vehicle for
Eddie Murphy (i.e., silly) set 50-100 yrs in the future. At one point they go to a
night club where a big jazz band is playing a production number alla Frank Sinatra.

When the singer introduces the band, which is playing like mad, it turns out to be a
single guy holding down one key on a keyboard. I think it points out the absurdity of
the idea of replacing musicians with machines. It will happen (has happened) in many
areas, of course, where cost matters more than quality. But ultimately music is about
communication, and people want to see the monkey perform.

Another way to think of it is this. The better technology gets at imitating a human
performance, the more discerning humans become at recognizing the fake. This has
certainly been true of sound reproduction. It is difficult for us to imagine how
anyone mistook the scratchy earliest recordings for people playing music or speaking,
but listeners in the late 19th century did, because they had nothing to compare it to.

Ultimately, virtual reality and artificial intelligence systems may eventually be able
to completely fool us, but that day is very far away, and I don't worry about it much.
In my experience with engineered systems (which is not insignificance), features of
the system of necessity creep in that detract from the engineering goals, and these
are inevitable giveaways. Technology is frequently useful, but it will (probably)
always be technology, meaning it has a tech support number somewhere with about 100
levels of voice menus.

--
Robert Patterson

http://www.robertgpatterson.com