----- Original Message -----
From: David W. Fenton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 11:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Finale] TAN Blessing or Curse in disguise?

> On 5 Mar 2003 at 22:30, Mr. Liudas Motekaitis wrote:

Dennis's "composer-controlled MIDI performance" is not what I meant by MIDI
*performances*. To perform something is to do it in real time. This is (was)
the essence of the art called music since its beginnings. Now, for the first
time in musical history, we have the ability to manipulate this time element
in ways which were hitherto impossible. This ties in with recording as well,
which is the predecessor of synthesizers and MIDI, and samplers.

But Dennis is talking about taking the ability to cut and paste notes (and
other controller aspects such as dynamics and tembre) with a mouse and to
glue together a "composer-controlled MIDI performance". This is the same
thing as the acoustic MIDI piano that this all started from. My argument is
that it is *not* a performance. Dennis is now softening some of his
terminology and has begun talking about a "MIDI Demo". The MIDI Demo is
something that can be very useful, in my opinion as well. It has its place.

But when Dennis begins to deify MIDI (I mean here the cut-and-paste
capabilities of parameters in addition to things like editing tembral
characteristics and patching things in innovative ways etc.) as the ultimate
in expression, more capable than humans, then I have a problem with that.

The value of things like being able to morph one instrument's sampled notes
into another intstrumnet's sampled notes is being depicted as being superior
in expressive capablities than if this were being done in ensemble by
humans. This is embarrassing. To make ensemble with the aid of a mouse-click
is like trying to find a formula for love. Futile. It is the equivalent of a
mix. Dennis has discovered the Multitrack Studio Mixing Console, and is
claiming it can create ensemble. I have worked in a studio for six years,
and I can tell you from much experience that the only thing it can create is
an acoustically engineered Frankenstein of otherwise acoustic human effort.
Darcy wrote of his traumatic experience with the bad Broadway production.
There we have it again. The balance was made unnaturally by a "mastermind"
sitting at a mixing desk. It is philosophically the exact same thing as a
MIDI/Synth/Sampler rendering of a score.

But capabilities of playing over and beyond the natural range of the
instruments? It seems to me that Dennis feels he is confined in a physical
world in which his freedom of compositional thought is being hampered by the
very physics of the world in which he lives. We may find analogies of this
position in the tuning debates which arose from equal temperament.a couple
of hundred years ago (oh, its more now, how time flies!). Then, it was
considered by many to be an extension of compositional freedom at the cost
of natural tuning. It was a trade-off. So maybe Dennis is trading off that
which we have known so far, namely, a feeling of realtime ensemble, for a
few MIDI/Sampler effects, like extension of the natrual range of
instruments, which he feels are worth this trade-off?

When he writes his 24 Preludes and Fuges for Impossible Registers, I want
front-row seats. Oh, that's right, there won't be any performance, silly me.
We'll all just have to buy the CD...

Liudas