The Text tool allows mixed fonts and could be used for this purpose.
However, the baseline would be the same for both the text and the symbol,
and in the case of the symbols that often is not as desirable a look.
(Sometimes the expression looks better if its baseline is somewhat below the
baseline of the text.) If you use this method, finish your layout so that
measures are unlikely to move. Double-click where you want the expression.
Type the text (choose font and size, of course). While the editing area
still is active, select Maestro 24 for the font and size. Type the keystroke
for the desired symbol. Click outside the editing window and you have your
expression.

You also could use the Shape Designer to create such an expression. Choose
the Expression tool. Double-click on a measure or note where you want the
expression. Click Create - Select - Create. You're now in the Shape
Designer. Select the Text tool. Choose "Font..." from the menu. Select
whatever you want for "To Coda" Select the size. Type the words. Click the
pointer elsewhere in the box. Select "Font..." again. Choose Maestro. Set
the size to 24. Type the keystroke for the symbol you want.  Click the
Pointer tool. Click on the symbol and move it next to the text, aligning it
to the baseline however desired. Click OK-Select-OK-Select. Make the
decisions needed re measure or note expression. Click OK. You'll now see the
expression on the score you just created.

Since it's a Shape expression, it does have playback programmability but
probably not anything you need for it to do. It also has the advantage of
being able to be entered with a metatool, in case you create something
you'll use several places.

--Richard Huggins