Darcy James Argue wrote:

> I'm working on engraving a piece with the following instrumentation:
>
> Timp
> Bells/Chimes
> Perc
> Harp
> Piano
> Boy Soprano
> SATB chorus
> Strings
>
> My question is, what score order would you choose for this ensemble?
> The above order would be (I believe) the standard orchestral order, but
> -- call me biassed, but it looks odd to me to have the percussion at
> the top like that.  I think my instinct would be to put the boy soprano
> and chorus at the top instead.
>
> Comments?

If there is there a separate choral score (including the soprano soloist),
I'd put the soloist on the top staff, the the chorus, then the harp, then
the piano.in that; for the conductor's score, I'd ask the conductor and
composer how they want the full score to look.

Consulting  published sources, Oxford University Press published a setting
of "Tomorrow shall be my dancing day", by John Gardiner, scored for Mixed
voices with piano and optional accompaniment, where the accompaniment is
tambourine and side drum; there, the chorus was on top, the percussion (on
two separate one-line staves) was next, and piano was at the bottom..  OTH,
from the same publisher, in John Rutter's setting of "The Heavanly
Aeroplane", scored for chorus, piano, and double bass, the chorus is at the
top, the piano next, and the double bass at the bottom.

ns