At 2:19 AM 06/02/03, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> Short of scores for percussion only, or just strings and
>percussion, I don't think I've ever seen a score with percussion as the
>top three staves.

Isn't this in pretty much the same category?  Just strings, percussion, and
voices.  Voices, like strings, go below the other instruments.

>Also, it is the convention for jazz (which is
>what I'm most familiar with) to put the solo vocal line at the top of
>the score, and drums at the bottom, so putting the boy soprano soloist
>on top and the percussion lower down offers a certain comforting
>familiarity (even if, as in this case, those conventions are totally
>inappropriate).  And aesthetically, it looks more balanced to me to
>have the parts with lyrics at the top of the score.

Well, the convention I'm most familiar with is opera, and in a full score
of an opera, the parts with lyrics are rarely at the top of the score (only
if it's a passage with just strings).  For what it's worth, I just opened
up my Boheme score to the beginning of act three, and I see one system
where top staff is the Triangle, along with several others where it's the
harp.

>But not if it will cause the real conductor of this piece to go
>"Huh???"

I, too, would be curious to see what a real conductor thinks of this.

mdl