On Sunday, June 1, 2003, at 09:40 PM, Ray Horton wrote:

I thought it would make sense to see what Finale's Document Setup Wizard
would do for this instrumentation in the "Choral" score order. Here it is,
read it and weep:

[snip]

Sweet jeebus....

Of course, both are absurd. But, if you take the first "Choral" setup and
flip the lower strings down below the violins, it looks fairly good:

Boy Soprano
SATB chorus
Harp
Piano
Timp
Bells/Chimes
Perc
Violin 1
Violin 2
Viola
Cello
Contrabass

I've decided that that is the arrangement that makes the most sense to me, so that's what I'm going with.

_BUT_, the more I look at it, the more I like the "normal" orchestral order:

Timp
Bells/Chimes
Perc
Harp
Piano
Boy Soprano
SATB chorus
Violin 1
Violin 2
Viola
Cello
Contrabass

Which is what you started with! (The Document Wizard for "orchestral" does
get this right, BTW.)

Right, that's how I ended up with the above. However, while it may have grown on you, it started to really grate on me, so now I'm going with the "chorus - harp - piano on top" model.

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston MA

No one likes us
I don't know why
We may not be perfect
But heaven knows we try
But all around, even our old friends put us down
Let's drop the Big One and see what happens

- Randy Newman, "Political Science"