What will be really intriguing will be when they figure out one person thinks one thing is beautiful and another thinks the same thing is a piece of crap -- the way my parents thought Lawrence Welk's orchestra was beautiful and I definitely did not share their opinion.

That will take some explaining!

Andrew Stiller wrote:
Stu McIntyre:

We can simply disagree about mysicism. I do make a distinction between mystery and mysticism, however. This argument reminds me of the old argument about knowledge or understanding deflating mystery (what was it by

Wordsworth, Tintern Abbey?).  The *beauty* of music is still beyond
understanding,

Oh dear, you've fallen off the wagon--and you were doing so well! The biological basis of esthetic response may still be unexplained, but, as they say, the scientists are on the case, and at the rate things are going the beauty of music is unlikely to remain beyond understanding for more than another 20 years or so.

--
David H. Bailey