I'm picking a nit, but I think holding that these changes are measurable is
important to me because that is the quality that deflates mysticism, in
general one of my missions in life.  To me, if anything different between
two items is discernible, that means that if the quality that is different
is isolated, it can, in fact, be measured by some appropriate unit of
measure.  For instance, variation in touch, from one note to the next, can
be quantified in units of velocity and/or volume; pitch, in cents, etc.

> From: "Stu McIntire" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "Musicality" in this case, maybe most of the time, is not some ghost in
the
> machine that can't be measured; it is quite simply small but measurable
> changes in "real" attributes of the sounds, and spaces between the sounds,
> that comprise the music.

I think this is a good description. I sometimes use a term I call "volume
shading" to describe, as best I can, the concept of "touch" at the piano.
And touch is an intimate cousin of musicality--what is called above "small
but measurable changes" (although I would not quite agree with "measurable,"
rather "discernible"). I heard a children's choir accompanist play recently
at a church, and the lady played the notes almost perfectly, yet had no
variation of touch or emphasis. To me it was quite distracting.

Changes in pressure, not only from note to note but also within notes
pressed at the same time, mixed with all sorts of shadings of tempo, figure
into musicality.

"Spaces between the sounds" is insightful--how true.

-Richard