At 06/09/2003 02:38 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

>On 8 Jun 2003 at 21:17, Philip M. Aker wrote:

>> Firstly, I claimed that "Multitasking as an issue is only important to
>> Windows developers...".
>
>Why would that be? Multitasking is something that all GUIs provide.

Your definition of multi-tasking is a little broad. Most people do not consider event-driven cooperative multi-tasking "true" multi-tasking. It's easy for one program to take over the machine and not allow anything else to run.

>> Secondly, I've previously explained to Jari that the keyword in my
>> phrase was "concept". The whole Macintosh concept was first realized in
>> 1984.

Actually the concept was released in January, 1982 by Apple and was called the Lisa. It was a much more capable machine than the Mac. The Mac was released in January, 1984 (in Boston at a BCS meeting, I was there) and was considered a watered-down version of the Lisa.

However, the Mac was actually affordable (the Lisa was $10,000).

When the Mac took off, Apple had a conversion system for making Lisa's into "Big Macs" for Mac developers.

>> I'm not sure of the date, but certainly before the end of 1986,
>> Apple released AUX (Apple Unix); which is multitasking by definition
>> and also supported a concurrently running MacOS that had all GUI
>> features of that period. So the statement:
>>
>> > Microsoft got it right long before Apple, by introducing decent
>> > multi-tasking by Windows 3.0
>>
>> is very misleading because obviously Apple had a multitasking system at
>> their disposal years before Microsoft but for one reason or another
>> decided it was not advantageous to use it at the time. Perhaps the
>> Amiga fiasco scared them off a bit. I saw Windows 3.0 many years ago.
>> It was pathetic.
>
>OK, I was trying to make sense of what you said, which to me was
>nonsensical. You said Windows programmers had to deal with multi-
>tasking and Mac programmers didn't. I took that to me that your
>remarks about the Mac messaging loop were not counted by you as
>multitasking. I didn't understand what you could possibly mean by
>that, but took you at what I understood to be your word.
>
>> Finally, I have to question whether either you or Jari truly understand
>> that the (old) MacOS had it's way of arriving at solutions that MS has
>> to use multitasking for.
>
>There you go -- I cannot make any logical sense out of what you've
>just said. First you say Mac has multitasking. Then you say it
>doesn't.

Both Windows 3.0 and the Mac were handicapped by the lack of pre-emptive multi-tasking.

In my opinion, well written Windows apps cooperated better than Mac apps, leading people to say that Windows was better at cooperative multi-tasking.

>I thought Macs multitasked (cooperatively) from the release of the
>very first Mac in 1984 (or whenever it was). They allowed you to run
>more than one application at a time, right? So, they were
>multitasking.

On a Mac, the foreground app seemed to get most of the time, background apps pretty much sat there doing nothing.

>Now, *how* they did it is another issue, and one where it's pretty
>clear they did it differently from what MS implemented in Windows.
>
>But the MS approach was better in the long run, as it worked for a
>lot longer, and laid the groundwork for real multitasking much sooner
>than the Mac got it.

I agree.

Phil Daley          < AutoDesk >
http://www.conknet.com/~p_daley