At 10:22 AM -0400 6/10/03, Andrew Stiller wrote:

To be slightly TAN, if I need to, how should I go about writing for the
accordion?

Standard five-line notation, on two staves. There are special symbols for registration, but other than that entirely normal. For klezmer and other pop purposes, you might want to write on just a single staff, w. chord names above.

Don't forget that the left hand is restricted in what it can easily do. Ordinary chord inversions are quite tricky, and the register of the bass notes is best left to the player unless you are familiar with the left-hand buttons. I tend to go for Andrew's last suggestion, unless there is a particular bass part I need.

It is worth sitting down with the accordionist to discover his registrations. There are standard instruments, but you never know which one he is going to have.