Well, the proof is in the listening. I like the piano sounds, you don't. That's cool.

The demos are well done mp3s. They are the actual demos which come with the unit and aren't that far off from the actual sounds, so you are hearing a good representation of the unit.

But if you are listening to them through a set of small computer speakers you are definitely not hearing them at their best.

I didn't realize you were just wanting piano sounds, so if that's all you want, you're right, $950 is quite pricey. But then so would buying a notebook computer, a good soft-synth and a good piano patch be quite pricey, and a lot more than $950.

Check out some of Roland's modules at the rolandus.com website. From what I hear, it seems that people who don't like Roland's piano sounds like Kurzweil's and vice versa, so you might find just what you want at Roland.

Good luck!

Darcy James Argue wrote:
Hi David,

Thanks for your comments and your suggestion of the Kurzweil PC2R. However, I checked out the recorded demos on Kurzweil's web site (http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/html/pc2_demos.html), and based on the solo piano piece represented there, I don't feel that the PC2R is *that* much better than the built-in piano patch on my P300 (which is what I'm using now). At least not $950 better. I know for that price you get the orchestra ROM, etc etc, but I don't need that. I just need a good solo piano patch, and a passable Rhodes. Also, I know that this is just an MP3, and that I really need to try the PC2R it in person, with the same amplifier I will be using live, etc, but just based on that demo, I hear a lot of the same thinness of tone and lack of authentic-sounding overtones that bug me about the P300's piano sample. I haven't checked out gear in years, and I was under the impression that vast strides had been made since I got the P300 back in 1994. If the PC2R really is the best thing going, in terms of piano patches (in hardware or software), I guess maybe my expectations were just unrealistic?

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston MA

No one likes us
I don't know why
We may not be perfect
But heaven knows we try
But all around, even our old friends put us down
Let's drop the Big One and see what happens

- Randy Newman, "Political Science"

.

--
David H. Bailey