You mean the alto clarinet wasn't invented just so failed Bb clarinet players would have something to play in band class? ;-)

I love having a full clarinet choir available (wish I had one in my community band right now!) from Eb through normal 1st, 2nd, 3rd Bb, ALTO and Bass clarinet. I'ld love to have a contra-alto and contra-bass as well, but money is definitely an issue with those!

John Howell wrote:
Tim Thompson wrote:

Yeah, that too! And then there is the fraction of a percent who enjoy the
Eb alto...:-) [meaning clarinet]

There's been past discussion of this on the Bandchat list, and a good many directors don't think the instrument is worth the trouble. My feeling is otherwise. Those who don't like the instrument probably have never assigned it to one of their best players, or to a player who works hard enough to master the instrument properly. In a band situation I feel it is a necessary component of the extended clarinet choir. But to say the instrument itself is inferior is simply silly.

Of course we have an alto player in our community band, and she does just fine.

John

--
David H. Bailey