I'm new to ripping MP3 files and have a bunch of questions based on
my first experiences. Anyone who cares to can answer onlist or in
private email, and I'm perfectly happy to have URL pointers to
information on this, as opposed to patient explanations.

Anyway, I was wondering if someone on the list had some understanding
of MP3 files and could tell me why I'm having intermittent problems
with some files I created skipping. The skips do not occur in the
same places each time and whene I rewind, they never skip the second
time.

Is there something wrong with the files themselves or is my computer
causing a problem somehow? It doesn't appear to me to be related to
other activity on the computer (I've watched the CPU activity and
there is no spike just where there's a dropout).

And someone else has reported that there are dropouts when she
downloaded the MP3s.

Anyone have an idea what's going on here?

The MP3s in quesiton are at:

  http://www.bway.net/~dfenton/Collegium/HimmelUndErde/

(forgive the flaws of our performances -- we are musicologists, not
professional musicians)

One piece has had it happen just before the end twice when I was
listening to it. That piece is the third one down from the top, and
the dropouts have happened on the word "plötzlich" in the last 15 or
20 seconds of the MP3. But when you rewind, there's no dropout.

Just playing it back myself, I found no dropout playing from near the
end, but if I played from the beginning, when it got to the end, it
dropped out at exactly the same place.

Both the person who reported this to me and I are using Quicktime to
play MP3s. And it's not a streaming issue, as the problem occurs
whether I'm listening to the copies from the website (which download
anyway, as Quicktime downloads in the background while playing what's
already been downloaded) or from my local hard drive.

I was doing other things wite the PC while I was ripping these, but I
listened all the way through before uploading and heard the dropouts,
but rewound and heard that the problems were intermittent.

Any idea on this?

I ripped them at 64bits, too, and was wondering if that's normal for
this kind of situation (putting classical music on a web page). I
also did 128bit and VBR recordings, and those latter two sound really
lovely, as good as straight from the CD. The 64bit ones sound
remarkably good, though a little harsh, and with just a tad of minor
distortion at a few loud/high points (some distortion was in the
original recording, which was done with two good mics, but recorded
to a portable mini-disc player/recorder through a $1.98 mixing
board).

Can one use less than 64bits and get a decent trade-off of sound
quality and size? I noticed that the 64bit ones are basically half
the size of the 128bit ones, which doesn't entirely make sense to me,
but, oh well (I wouldn't think a lossy compression standard like MPEG
would have such a simply arithmetic relationship of file size to
decreasing bit rate). And I did the VBR files with a range of 48 to
160bits, and those came out about 10% smaller than the 128bit files,
not much of a savings, but with audible improvement in quality of the
overall sound envelope.

Can all MP3 players play VBR MP3s or not?

And would doing VBR with a range of 36 to 96 (or some such range) get
me a significantly better sound at about the same size as the
straight 64bit? Or does it entirely depend on the type of music?

Thanks in advance for any answers/suggestions/pointers that anyone
can give!