On Friday, June 13, 2003, at 05:01 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

Well, I've got 6.0. I've not had any problems with it whatsoever. I
find it annoying to have to constantly be updating things.

It is kinda annoying but each new point release of QuickTime (6.1, 6.2, 6.3) has introduced significant enhancements and improvements. (At least, the Mac version has.)

Well,
there are still dropouts, so it must just be Quicktime.

Ack. That's really too bad. I don't suppose doing a complete uninstall and then a completely fresh reinstall of QT 6.3 (instead of upgrading) would help?

Someone else wrote and suggested WinAmp, but that's infested with
spyware, as are all the more popular MP3 players, and I simply won't
abide having those kinds of things installed on my PC.

Surely there must be some sort of bare-bones freeware MP3 player for PC that doesn't have all the spyware garbage? I mean, there are several of these for Mac, none of which have any spyware, and this despite the fact that iTunes is so good that there's very little demand for third-party MP3 solutions. It would be shocking if Windows equivalents didn't exist.

Well, I dont' know exactly how she's doing it. I would expect her to
be just using the web browser plugin. I know her computer is a G3,
but it's got OS X (dunno which version), so it may have iTunes. I'll
suggest it to her.

She should definitely try opening the files in iTunes if she hasn't already done so.

. . . Your files sound fine to me (apart from the
unacceptably low bitrate, IMO).

Well, they don't sound at all unacceptable to me!

Well, hey, you're the boss... I just mean that 128 kbps is pretty much considered the minimum standard for MP3s these days. But if it still sounds good to you at lower bitrates, that's fine too -- just keep in mind that many people are suspicious of MP3s encoded at anything less than 128 kbps. (Personally, I think MP3s only start sounding decent at 192 kpbs and higher.) Maybe you could offer both "lo-fi" and "hi-fi" versions?

Incidentally, a Windows version of iTunes should be available before
the end of the year, so that would give you another option as far as
playback goes.

Well, I like Apple software (though, of course, there was that disaster with the QT player UI).

The UI for iTunes is fantastic. It's one of the best software products Apple has ever produced. And now there's the iTunes Music Store, which is (much to my surprise -- I'm very skeptical of music download services) actually pretty good. Hopefully the PC version will be of the same high quality.

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Boston MA

No one likes us
I don't know why
We may not be perfect
But heaven knows we try
But all around, even our old friends put us down
Let's drop the Big One and see what happens

- Randy Newman, "Political Science"