Tom Jordan wrote, in part:

> What are publishers doing to address
> the creation of parts to match student
> band personnel?

Some, like Bayside Music Press, sell a set that includes a score and one
copy of each part.  Purchase of the set includes permission to make
additional copies of parts for rehearsal or performance by the
purchasing individual or ensemble only.  Permission to copy the score is
specifically excluded, but additional scores are available for purchase.

> Do the publishers actually grant any
> license to that junior high band with
> 12 tenor saxes and 1 trombone ....

You never know until you write and ask.  But in my opinion, any junior
high band with 12 tenor saxes and one trombone might be well-served to
review the recruiting and enrollment process in its feeder programs.

Jim O'Briant
Bayside Music Press
Gilroy, CA   95020

http://www.baysidemusicpress.com