I don't know about for countries other than the U.S., but much copyright information is searchable on the the Library of Congress web-site.

Other resources (for the U.S. at least) include www.mpa.org (Music Publishers Association) which carries a list of publishers and their imprints.

Yet other resources are on-line catalogs such as www.jwpepper.com, where you possibly can find the publisher and contact them for copyright information.

I'm surprised there wasn't any copyright information on the music you were going to use as your source.

Sometimes doing a web-search for either the title of the work or the composer can yield at least preliminary contact information.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
It is sometimes difficult to find out who the copyright owner is.

I wanted to make an arrangement of some copyright music (for a different type of ensemble from the original, but was unable to find an address to which to write to get permission. (The copy of the music I had was an arrangement but did not have details of the original copyright owner.)

Is there a resource either in paper or on the web which might help in this respect?

All the best,

Lawrence

http://lawrenceyates.co.uk

--