The publishers selling their music with single copies camera ready are simply admitting to what is happening in practice anyway. It doesn't affect the legal climate for anyone other than those publishers, however. What publisher A allows in no way forces publisher B to allow the same thing, unless through market forces publisher B realizes sales are being lost to publisher A and decides to implement the same allowances. Legally, publisher B is under no obligation to relinquish any copyright protection simply because publisher A decides to.

Basically, what fair use covers are situations where money is not being lost by the publisher -- such as allowing photocopying of music that is on order but not delivered yet, or allowing excerpting for educational purposes. Essentially, as long as the publisher isn't losing a sale, prosecution is unlikely. So transposing an oboe part for alto sax isn't costing the publisher a sale unless an alto sax alternate for oboe is available for purchase. Not very likely, so such transcribing isn't hurting the business.

But it is important to remember that there are NO fair use guidelines in the copyright law of the U.S. -- it is a term which is present in the law with absolutely no definition. Music publishers have published what they feel are fair uses and won't prosecute you for, but these can be rescinded at any time by any publisher. So technically, any such transcription of oboe part for alto sax is illegal. Fair use simply means that the publishers probably aren't going to prosecute you for doing it.

Tom Jordan wrote:
I should add that although my question is hypothetical, I have been reading a band director who is praising how he can do these things with Finale. I am a writer and a teacher, but not a band director. And I am not certain that fair use covers transposing an oboe part for an alto sax, although i think it should.

Some publishers are selling their band works with single copies "camera ready," but how does that affect the legal climate for everyone?

Tom Jordan