At 11:25 PM 8/27/2003, Tyler Turner wrote:
>Create a wave file of a piece using the command from
>the File menu >> Save Special. That has to use the
>softsynth. I can't imagine you'd find the playback to
>sound the same, so check your playback against that
>wave file.

Yes, okay, I guess Finale 2004 *is* using the new softsynth for me. But I can't say it's as much of a difference as I had expected.

>I believe you had made a point about Speedy entry
>requiring fewer keystrokes than Simple. First of all,
>a majority of music doesn't have every note in a
>different octave than the previous.

True, but melodic lines often range over more than an octave -- and generally not more than 3 octaves. In Speedy, once I've set the octave with [IK,], I never have to think about what octave I'll get when I press a key, and I can enter notes almost like playing piano.

>And with the other
>shortcuts for sticky/nonsticky entry, modifying the
>last note, adding chods, changing layers, etc., I
>can't imagine that you will find Speedy to be as fast
>as Simple once you become accustomed to the new
>system.

Yes, I really wish that Speedy had been given some of these sticky things -- especially sticky accidentals through a measure. (Maybe it has -- I haven't looked there, actually.)

> Single key rest entry alone would be enough of
>an improvement in most songs to leave Speedy in the
>dust.

I don't find this so difficult in Speedy. Thanks to TGTools, I have NumLock programmed to change a note to a rest. So a rest for me is two quick strokes on the keypad, no need to move the left hand all the way over to the Backspace key.

Thanks,
Aaron.