Aaron Sherber writes:

> I know almost nothing about sound cards. But when soundfonts were discussed
> here a few months ago, I looked around the Net for something that might be
> better than the built-in sounds on my card. I think I remember that I found
> that soundfonts were designed for Soundblaster and compatibles, and that my
> Montego card seemed to have no way of loading them.

As Tyler said, this isn't true of the SoftSynth.

> Now, it's entirely possible that I was wrong, or that I'm remembering
> wrong, or that when Coda says soundfont they mean something else entirely.

Soundfont is just a file format.

> But when someone else mentioned that they couldn't hear a difference with
> their Montego card, it rang a bell.

Personally, I really don't think the built-in Fin2004 soundfont is bad at all
(well balanced and such things). But of course you can get it to sound
quite bad if you for example use the Violin patch on a tutti violin section
etc. But if you don't like the built-in soundfont, try my tip in the review and
replace it with another GM soundfont. There are many free ones available
on the net.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson