First of all, despite the subject heading, I am talking about *system* reduction and
definitely not individual staff reduction. On a single staff piece, the only way to
access system reduction is to right click or (mac) ctrl-click to the left of the staff
in page view.

I have an edition of The Rite of Spring from International Music, which I believe is a
reprint of some older edition. Compare, e.g., pp. 76-77. Page 77 has a smaller redux
due to the increased number of instruments from p. 76. Such changes in redux from one
page to the next are commonplace in orch. scores.

It is an extremely unusual case that calls for different staff sizes within a system
of an conductor score. An example where it does happen is the staves for the on-stage
bands at the end of Act I of Don Giovanni. See the Dover edition, pp. 192ff.

--
Robert Patterson

http://RobertGPatterson.com