Based on anecdotal evidence, I would agree with this theory (in most cases).
Tim

On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 09:52 AM, Daniel Dorff wrote:

I've heard some editors point out that the piano keyboard looks the same in
each octave and requires the same eye/hand coordination patterns in any
octave, whereas wind and string instruments are fingered differently in the
highest registers compared to below. A flutist associates high high C above
the 5th line with a certain fingering and seeing that note up there sets up
automatic muscle memory in fingers and embouchure that isn't true for the
visual experience of the C on the 2nd ledger line. This kinetic reaction to
notation can carry over to general registers/octaves of the piano but not to
fingering and perhaps tone production. So if this theory is valid, and I
believe it is, then it makes most sense to always write for flute without
8va signs, but to sometimes use them for piano. It sounds like Dennis's
colleagues would agree with this.