I am chiming in late on the overworked 8va vs. leger line fight:

As a performer, I have sometimes observed other performers, good and bad,
amateur and professional, ignore 8va markings when it suited their purpose.
(Such as "I don't like this piece, and I don't feel like working that hard
by playing that high or that low").  They are _much_ less likely to alter an
extreme note that is written with leger lines.  An 8va or 8ba marking can
make the composer's intended note seem like a mere alteration of the printed
pitch.

Ray Horton
Bass Trombonist,
Louisville Orchestra