At 08:32 PM 10/10/2003, Stanford Chong wrote:
1) Is it common that the music I played in the keyboard, end up to be
inaccurate in the finale score? The thing is that there are slurs, triplets
and dotted quaver notes appearing here and there, even when I am not playing
that. Do I need to adjust some of the settings?

Yes, it is common for music to look a mess after playing it in with Hyperscribe. Some people can work a lot faster with "speedy entry", and/or the new-and-improved "simple entry" (both "speedy" and "simple" put in quotes intentionally because neither is either). For a lot of stuff, I find hyperscribe to be the fastest method.

Here are some tips.

1) Don't try to use it if you have a vide range of note values (32nd through whole notes, e.g.).

2) When playing in your passages, don't apply ANY styling. Play the notes metronomically.

3) Play marcato (definite start and slight separation. Don't let the notes run together, especially across bars.

4) Before starting, set appropriate quantization values. If you shortest note is a 1/8th, then don't let Finale quantize 1/16ths, e.g. Also go to the advanced settings.

5) You might need to change these options several times within one piece so that the quant settings are optimal for the particular passage you are entering.

6) If you discover that the quantization is wrong even though you played the passage reasonably well, try changing the quant settings, then use mass edit "retranscribe" on that passage, rather than reentering the whole thing again.

7) Slow down the beat source to the point that you can enter the music accurately.

8) Make sure your beat source is a hardware synth channel, not a software synth. A software synth will delay the beat source enough to drive you crazy/

9) Scream a little if necessary.