Stanford Chong wrote:

Oh c'mon, I am a computer newbie and according to my friends, online means something in the internet and not inside the CD. If you are referring to that manual in PDF, yes, I have it.

Your friends are relative "newbies", too. In the early '90s, after Windows, but before the widespread use of the internet, "online" was the acceptable term for help that was accessible through on the screen, whether through ~.pdf files such as MakeMusic! uses, or in context sensitive help like one obtains if one presses the help buttons in the various dialogue boxes. It is only in the past few years, with the explosive growth of internet use, that "online" has come to acquire more of a sense of "over the internet".

ns