On Wednesday, October 29, 2003, at 08:23 AM, Philip Aker wrote:

On Saturday, Oct 25, 2003, at 14:22 US/Pacific, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

So am I for my Wallstreet. Anyone heard of incompatibility reports yet? Seems there are some problems with existing applications.

I did have a problem with the install. ... In my case, iTunes was the culprit...

I saw a note in the TidBITS newsletter which put me on the right track to solving the iTunes installer problem. In case it's helpful for your upgrade at some point, it was a permissions error with the iTunes installer. No doubt because I had purposely changed some permissions in the System and Library folders them so I could edit files and changed others so as to easily work with the 'sendmail' facility. There doesn't seem to be any mention of re-setting permissions in the 10.3 install PDF but you may fix them from the Jaguar disk in case they have been altered.

Anyway, I've now done a rather full install (extra apps, fonts, Developer Tools, X11) with zero problems.

Philip,

You don't still have a beige G3, do you? Are you saying you've successfully installed Panther on that machine? Because if you have, you are the first person I've heard of that's managed to overcome that obstacle.

For me (and everyone else I've heard from), trying to run the Panther installer generates a message that Panther cannot be installed because the computer is not supported, and trying to boot from the Panther CD results in a kernel panic early in the boot process. People have even tried installing Panther on the internal HD of another machine and then swapping that HD into the beige G3, without success.

I didn't think it was possible to install Panther on a beige G3, at least not until the new XPostFacto is released.

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn NY