On Wednesday, Oct 29, 2003, at 11:36 US/Pacific, Darcy James Argue wrote:

Anyway, I've now done a rather full install (extra apps, fonts, Developer Tools, X11) with zero problems.

You don't still have a beige G3, do you? Are you saying you've successfully installed Panther on that machine? Because if you have, you are the first person I've heard of that's managed to overcome that obstacle.

For me (and everyone else I've heard from), trying to run the Panther installer generates a message that Panther cannot be installed because the computer is not supported, and trying to boot from the Panther CD results in a kernel panic early in the boot process. People have even tried installing Panther on the internal HD of another machine and then swapping that HD into the beige G3, without success.

I didn't think it was possible to install Panther on a beige G3, at least not until the new XPostFacto is released.

Hi Darcy,

I installed it on a USB Mac. I will have to wait just like everyone else for "da main from Harlem" to come up with a pseudo USB device (or whatever) to trick Panther to run on old G3s. Assuming this will happen one day, I noticed that a minimal install of 10.3 doesn't take up much more space than Jaguar and in fact has more options for not installing irrelevant stuff like Internet Explorer.

Philip Aker http://www.aker.ca