On 18 Dec 2003, at 03:36 AM, Mark D Lew wrote:

On Wednesday, December 17, 2003, at 04:26 AM, Phil Daley wrote:

>This is not about hiding windows or arranging windows, it's about _finding_
>windows.

I never lose them, must be a Mac thing.

Not a Mac thing. I'm on Mac, and I too cannot visualize why I should be so excited about Exposé.

Ever save files to the Desktop? Internet downloads, perhaps? Don't switch to the Finder, use F11!

I'm on Mac OS 10.2 (relatively recently), and I can easily find any window by right-clicking the application on the Dock and then choosing the window from the popup menu.

But that's a mouse down to the Dock, then a menu selection based on text.

For me, at least, it's much faster to hit F9 or F10 and make the selection visually. Not to mention that if I want to go from a specific window in one application to a specific window in another, Exposé does the window selection *and* the application switching in one easy click.

I don't see why that's any harder than taking the mouse to a hot spot and then selecting from among the mini-windows. I'm not sure what is meant by "losing" one's windows. Do you not know what you've got open?

Frequently, yes, I've got web browser windows or email-composing windows or whatnot hidden behind other windows because I've gotten distracted with something else. Then I forget to come back to them. Exposé is a great "oh yeah -- *that* thing" kind of reminder.

If you've forgotten that it exists, how do you know to look for it?

I think I answered that above.

Maybe some day it will make sense to me, as Johannes suggests.

You really do have to try it. I was skeptical too when I first saw it demoed, but it's a very elegant way of doing things.

- Darcy

-----

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn NY