In my book it's still customary and preferable. By the way, I'd write your
example as "op-'ning." A similar example, "ev-'ning."

While o-pen-ing would be correct if the e were used (three syllables), when
the e is not spoken, the word changes its complexion, so to speak. You treat
it as if it were originally spelled that way, making "op" the first
syllable. Or at least that's the rule I follow and is how I've usually seen
it applied!

Richard