At 12:18 PM -0600 12/18/03, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:

A review of my dictionary shows that all of the multi words which begin with a long "O", including among others, obey, open, over, onerous, and Otolaryngologyst, seem to have the long 'o' as a separate syllable, and those where the o is short, (obliterate, ocular, oligarchy, omniciscient, opera, oven) seem to include the following consonant in the intial syllable.

Hmm, I and my immediate family pronounce "obliterate" and "oligarchy" with long o sounds, and "onerous" with a short o. So much for generalisations with regional pronounciations, as I would have hyphenated those words incorrectly if I had followed your guide.