On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Mark D Lew wrote:

> On Friday, December 19, 2003, at 05:36  AM, Christopher BJ Smith wrote:
>
> > Really?! This is quite a revelation to me (that's "rev-e-la-tion" not
> > "re-ve-la-tion") as I always thought hyphenation was fixed and not
> > dependent on pronounciation. Shows what I know.

I agree totally with the above. I *always* hyphenate according to the
syllabification that appears in dictionaries.

> It also explains why you sometimes see "wrong" hyphenations in older
> scores, as there are several English words which were pronounced
> differently 100 years ago (usually due to shifting syllable emphasis).
> Of course, even more of those can be attributed simply to bad editing.

I disagree completely with Mark. If you compare the "wrong" hyphenation of
older scores with dictionaries of the time, you will find that most of the
hyphenation corresponds with the syllabification found in those
dictionaries.

(OK, feel free to shoot me down ... But please provide actual examples and
corresponding dictionary syllabification. I *might* be persuaded to change
my [admittedly stubborn (and possibly mistaken)] opinion. Assuming that
hyphenation *does* follow syllabification, I have often thought how nice
it would be if Finale would include an online hyphenation dictionary ...)

--
Weldon Whipple