At 11:11 PM -0800 12/18/03, Mark D Lew wrote:
On Thursday, December 18, 2003, at 01:46 PM, Christopher BJ Smith wrote:

Hmm, I and my immediate family pronounce "obliterate" and "oligarchy" with long o sounds, and "onerous" with a short o. So much for generalisations with regional pronounciations, as I would have hyphenated those words incorrectly if I had followed your guide.

You are absolutely right that these words might be pronounced differently in different dialects, but you should always hyphenate to reflect your intended pronunciation whatever it may be.

For example, if you want "lever" to rhyme with "fever", as the British say it, then you should write it "le-ver"; if you want "lever" to rhyme with "never", as the Americans say it, then you should write "lev-er". Likewise for "pro-gress" vs "prog-ress", "pri-vacy" vs "priv-acy", etc.

mdl

Really?! This is quite a revelation to me (that's "rev-e-la-tion" not "re-ve-la-tion") as I always thought hyphenation was fixed and not dependent on pronounciation. Shows what I know.

Christopher