I agree that the multimeasure rests should make sense with the phrasing of the surrounding music, not some arbitrary grouping of 5 or 10 measures per rest. When I run into long groups of such I pencil in the groupings of the rests that make the most sense musically.

John.Howell wrote:

At how many measures should one start to convert to multimeasure rests with numbers? I think Finale's default is 10. That sounds like a lot. The Essential Dictionary of Music Notation says anything over 1 measure. Ted Ross gives a system with symbols for 2 to 8, and uses numbers starting at 9. I find it much easier to read a "7" than add up the value of three different types of rests. What do instrumentalists generally prefer?

Dennis

This instrumentalist wants something absolutely clear and unambiguous. I use multimeasure rests from 2 measures on up. I assume that the "symbols" are the stacks of rests that go 'way back to the 13th century Franconian rest symbols. Out of date and dreadfully confusing to a modern player.

One very bad publishing idea that was popular in about the mid-20th century was to break multimeasure rests every 5 or 10 bars, totally ignoring the phrasing of the music. You find this in some Copland and Persichetti--that generation. Those things drive me nuts when I'm confronted with them.

John

-- David H. Bailey [EMAIL PROTECTED]