At how many measures should one start to convert to multimeasure rests with numbers? I think Finale's default is 10. That sounds like a lot. The Essential Dictionary of Music Notation says anything over 1 measure. Ted Ross gives a system with symbols for 2 to 8, and uses numbers starting at 9. I find it much easier to read a "7" than add up the value of three different types of rests. What do instrumentalists generally prefer?

Dennis

This instrumentalist wants something absolutely clear and unambiguous. I use multimeasure rests from 2 measures on up. I assume that the "symbols" are the stacks of rests that go 'way back to the 13th century Franconian rest symbols. Out of date and dreadfully confusing to a modern player.

One very bad publishing idea that was popular in about the mid-20th century was to break multimeasure rests every 5 or 10 bars, totally ignoring the phrasing of the music. You find this in some Copland and Persichetti--that generation. Those things drive me nuts when I'm confronted with them.

John

-- John & Susie Howell Virginia Tech Department of Music Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A. 24061-0240 Vox (540) 231-8411 Fax (540) 231-5034 Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale