Thanks to all, in particular Michael Cook for you help.
If I could induldge the list for one final detail.
I have been able to reduce the size of selected time signatures by creating
an ossia measure (attached to a nearby blank measure in the score).  All of
the elements are absent from the ossia measure (even the staff) except for
the time signature (which I have reduced in size to 75%).  I drag the
(ossia )time signature into the measure where I want it and there it is!
However when I use the measure tool to delete the default time signature in
the destination bar, all of the notes in that bar re-position themselves
evenly througout,thus taking up the space left by the hidden (default) time
signature, even when I specify that there should be no change in note
positioning when I hide the (default) time signature.

Are there any suggestions on how to stop the notes from migrating into the
space left by the hidden time signature?
Thanks for your help and sorry for the long explanation.
This list is a wonderful resource.

George Boziwick