At 2/9/2004 12:17 PM, Raymond Horton wrote:

>"Lies" is a strong word, and here, unjustified.
>
>But I would have agreed with you on the scanning until last week.  A friend
>of mine (a viola player and user of WinFin2003) astounded me, just a few
>days ago, by telling me that he has been having great success scanning.
>After some trial and error, he scans viola parts and up to four-part scores
>regularly, with what he estimates at something like 95 to 97% accuracy.

Note bene: I am not familiar with note scanning software.

I am _extremely_ familiar with character scanning software.

"95% accuracy" in scanning conversion to text produces a useless document. It is more work to clean up that mess than to retype it from scratch.

95% "sounds" good. In reality, it produces an illegible (and unreadable) text document.

Phil Daley          < AutoDesk >
http://www.conknet.com/~p_daley