On Feb 9, 2004, at 9:44 AM, Phil Daley wrote:

Note bene: I am not familiar with note scanning software.

I am _extremely_ familiar with character scanning software.

"95% accuracy" in scanning conversion to text produces a useless document. It is more work to clean up that mess than to retype it from scratch.

95% "sounds" good. In reality, it produces an illegible (and unreadable) text document.

That also matches my experience, from my days as typesetter for a weekly journal that reprinted numerous press releases. Unless the accuracy is up around 98% you're going to spend more time futzing with the file than you would retyping it. Part of the problem is that you don't know where the 5% errors are, so in addition to fixing the errors, you have to double-check everything.

Admittedly, an important factor in this equation is how fast a typist you are. If retyping is a slow process for you, then your threshold of accuracy to make scanning worthwhile is going to be lower.

mdl