At 11:11 AM -0500 2/09/04, Darcy James Argue wrote:
There's still all of Sibelius's blatant claims along the lines of "Finale can't do this," or "Sibelius is the *only* music notation program that does that."

There are a couple of unique features that caught my eye when I saw the Sibelius 2 demo at school.

One is the "instant arrangement", where you take a piece of piano music, hit the button, and it is immediately and surprisingly intelligently divided among the staves of a concert band or orchestra score. Everything seemed to be in the correct octave and preserved reasonable voice-leading, which already put it ahead of some of my students. Of course, I would rather do my own, but it seems if you need the Congolese national anthem in a hurry for a special occasion, you could run this, edit some sections, and bob's your uncle!

Another one that I could actually use is where you copy a passage to another staff, then put the cursor over the first note, and start playing the second voice harmony on the MIDI keyboard. Every successive note gets changed to the new melody you are playing, jumping over rests and intelligently converting tied notes in one hit. This takes at least twice the keystrokes in Finale, not even counting two hits to jump a rest, and four to tie a new pitch over the barline.

The "harmonic analysis" feature looked good until I tried it. It is no better than Finale's analysis, making similar errors.