On 24 May 2004 at 14:46, Christopher BJ Smith wrote:

> At 2:31 PM -0400 5/24/04, David W. Fenton wrote:
> >On 23 May 2004 at 15:30, Darcy James Argue wrote:
> >
> >>  Next, transparency *is* actually useful, at least to me, and also
> >>  for anyone with a laptop or a small monitor.  Ironically, probably
> >>  the best use of transparency I've seen is in a Microsoft product
> >>  (albeit the Microsoft Mac Business Unit).  In Office 2004 Mac, you
> >>  have the option of having the Formatting Palette automatically
> >>  fade -- to as much as 90% transparency -- if it's not being used.
> >>  . . .
> >
> >How is this less useful than a windowshade UI?
>
> Oo, I'll take this one! If I can SEE a tool, and be able to click on
> it easily, while seeing the score underneath it, this saves mondo
> clicking to un-shade and re-shade the tool palette. If it takes one
> click to roll down the window shade, then I have to move the mouse to
> the tool, then move the mouse to re-shade again, that's three clicks
> and some index movement that I would be able to replace with one click
> and little or no mouse movement.

OK, I can see that, but what about getting to the background window?
Isn't that less of an issue in a window-shaded pallette than in a
transparent one?

> >  > . . . This means that
> >>  people with 1024x768 screens can use *all* of their limited screen
> >>  real estate for the document they are working on.  The Formatting
> >>  Palette becomes opaque when you mouse over it, and fades again
> >>  when it's no longer needed.  This system actually works
> >>  exceptionally well, and I'd like to see other apps -- like Finale!
> >>  -- adopt fading palettes.
> >
> >OK, you've come up with *one* UI component where transparency is
> >useful. Why, then, should it be implemented system-wide?
>
> Not system wide. Just in Finale. The pallettes CAN get kind of big,
> and eat up a lot of real estate. It could be turned off, too, if it
> bugs people.

Well, that's fine, but I don't really have a problem giving up two
rows of toolbars for the pallettes at the top of the screen. It's how
every application I use implementes toolbars and because of the
aspect ratio of scroll view (which is where I do most of my work),
it's not really a problem to lose the space. Of course, I use the
small icons, since the large ones are too big and distracting (and
butt ugly, to boot).

> >  > To give you another Finale-specific example, I've been bugging
> >  > Tobias
> >>  for a while to add the option to control the transparency of
> >>  TGTools dialogs, especially the Staff List Manager.  The big
> >>  problem with the Staff List Manager is that it's, well, so *big*
> >>  -- the dialog box is huge (unnecessarily huge, IMO, with lots of
> >>  wasted space) and it tends to cover up the music that you are
> >>  trying to adjust.  Of course, you can move the dialog around the
> >>  screen, revealing bits of it at a time, but whole point of using
> >>  the Staff List Manager is that you want to be able to see the
> >>  entire page (or, at least, an entire system) at a glance.  So
> >>  yeah, transparency here would be an enormous help.
> >
> >On Windows, Tobias has implemented his plugins with a windowshade
> >like roll-up when the plugin window doesn't have the focus. This
> >means the dialog not only leaves more of the Finale window visible,
> >but it also actually takes up less space. Isn't taking up less space
> >more desirable, since it reveals more of the windows behind it while
> >also making those visible areas fully accessible, which, so far as I
> >can tell, a transparent pallette would not?
>
> Hey! Keep BOTH! Roll up the dialogue box window when not used, AND
> have it be transparent when open! Whoo-hoo!
>
> Christopher (who is always ready to volunteer OTHER people's time to
> make his life easier.) ;-)

Heh.

I can see your point.

But it's not a reason to implement transparency as the default dialog
behavior OS-wide, which is how this subject came up.