Hi Chris,

I don't think you're getting what Brian is talking about here. I haven't actually tried his method yet -- frankly, it never occurred to me -- but boy does it ever look like a time-saver!

Anyhow, what he is doing is making one copy of the score for printing purposes, and then one additional copy of the score *for each instrument.* For instance, let's say he's working on a big band arrangement of, oh I don't know, Public Enemy's "Fight The Power." When he's done laying out the score for printing, that gets saved as something like "Fight The Power - score.mus" Nothing unusual so far.

But now, where you or I would normally extract parts, Brian makes a copy of the score called "Fight The Power - Alto 1.mus". Then he turns on Special Part Extraction for Alto 1, switches to Page View, and completes the layout for Alto 1. When he's done that, he then saves *this* file as "Fight The Power - Alto 2.mus" and turns on Special Part Extraction for Alto 2. This way, Alto 2 inherits all the layout choices made for Alto 1, but without having to step through the minefield of copying from one Finale document to another. When he's done, he will still have *separate Finale files for each instrument, plus the score* -- same as if he had used the Express Music method.

Like he said, his files will be much larger (since they are copies of the entire score), and be confusing if you need to give the Finale files to others, but that's pretty much the only drawback I can see.