Christopher BJ Smith wrote:
> "Normal" part extraction, obviously, doesn't allow automatic updates.
> However, the "Express" method (I actually use a streamlined version
> myself, unless I really need the other benefits) allows you to update
> the score once, then copy and paste from the score to each part, and
> you only have to change layout if you need to (as opposed to
> extracting again from scratch.)
>
> You might want the score layout saved if you are going to print the
> score. The only time this makes a difference in your method is if you
> make note changes to the score. The parts won't inherit the changes,
> and you will either have to do it manually (editing directly or
> copying from file to file) or redo the Special method as you
> described.

You can just as easily update parts (using copy & paste) that have been
extracted using the SPE method as those that have been formatted using the
"normal" method. There is no need to undo and redo SPE in order to revise or
paste copied material from another file (i.e. the score). If you need a
score to print (I usually do) then format it first and save it before you
start formatting parts.

Another advantage to having the entire score in every part in scroll view is
that it is much easier to copy & paste *anything* (including misplaced
hairpins) from other staves.

> And the Express method, though admittedly more tedious than yours the
> FIRST time, allows you to keep all formatting, if you want, for
> successive revisions.

So does the SPE method. I don't see any advantages at all to the Express
method over the SPE method in this regard.

> I see more clearly now that this Relational Database idea would be
> fabulous for Finale part extraction. Imagine having all the benefits
> of Special-Part-Extraction-in-separate-files with the linking that
> you would get as if you had NEVER separated the files! Each staff
> could inherit layout and positioning, or not, as you like, without
> affecting the score.
>
> Oo, I'm getting excited now!

Maybe this will happen in a future version of Finale (does Sibelius do
this?) In my opinion, having the score and all parts linked in one master
file was biggest advantage MOTU's Mosaic had over Finale.

Brian