At 08:57 AM 6/16/04 -0700, Bob Colwell wrote:
>Yeah, it eats ink. And those cartridges are expensive. Did you notice that
>17% of HP's bottom line last quarter came directly from ink cartridge sales?

Do you all refill your inkjet cartridges? I keep two carts, one new and one
refilled. The third-party refill kits for HP are excellent quality, and you
can make three refills for about $5 each before you have to get a new $30
cart. The new InkTek refill kits don't make a mess, either.

I swap in the new carts for final copies of large sheets, and use the
refilled ones for everything else -- including, surprisingly, hi-res photos
on glossy photo paper. I'm not sure why, but the alignment and quality do
appear to hold up with the multiple light-ink-coverage passes HP uses for
high resolution.

Speaking of bottom lines, Staples had HP3425 photo printers that included a
full cartridge (not a partial one) for less than the price of the cartridge
itself. It seemed a shame, but I bought more than one printer rather than
new ink cartridges. Now what? :)

I'm waiting for the color laser printers to get within my price range.
There's one for about $400 right now, but I haven't looked into its quality.

Dennis