Johannes Gebauer wrote:

While I am sure all this is correct concerning the HP All-in-ones I don't
think one can damn inkjets altogether.
I have a Canon i865, and the ink costs are probably lower than the toner
costs of my HP Laserjet, especially if I buy third party ink cartridges,
which are â 2.50 each.

Still, if printing music is the prime task, a laser is definitely the better
choice, since there is not a single inkjet that I have heard off which can
print completely smudge-free prints.

Just be cautious of some printers like the OKI lasers, which have non-equal
resolutions like 600x1200. While those are fine for text printing they are
not ideal for music, as the lower resolution usually means that slurs and
beams print badly.

As far as music scanning goes, it doesn't really make much difference what
kind of scanner you use, however, don't expect too much of it, especially
with Finale's built-in music recognition. While this has improved in 2k4, it
will only work well enough with very clean source music. Whether it actually
saves you any work depends very much on the kind of music and the source.
Most source material can be entered quicker in Finale than the time you need
to correct the recognized music.

Johannes

I'd disagree about the 600x1200 printing. I have a 1200x1200 Lexmark printer, and a Brother 1440. I love the Lexmark's printing, as it seems "thicker" and it's postscript seems to give a little better output of slurs. However, the Brother laser's slurs and ties look just fine at 600x600 or higher resolution.