>I've read this a few times, and it still doesn't make sense. If a sixth
note is equal to a dotted eighth, that would make the time signature 1/6
equivalent to 3/8.

No. 3/16.

> And from what I know of math and music, that doesn't
seem right to me. Putting it a different way, 6 sixth notes gives you a
whole note, but 6 dotted quarters only gives you a dotted half.<

Huh? Six dotted quarters gives you nine quarters.

I think you meant a time signature of 1/6 equals 3/16 by his method. 6 sixth
notes gives you a whole note, but 6 dotted eighths gives you nine eights. It
still does not add up (but at least it's closer!)

What he needs is 1.125 sixths equals a dotted sixteenth. That will clear
everything up!

RY