I agree with Mr. Stiller's analysis that the blues -- and other vernacular tonal musics -- is not party to a voice leading regimen along the lines of classical part-writing. However, and despite the fact that there are instrumental playing styles for the blues which suggest an alternative but equally rigid voice-leading practice, I contend that this is, ultimately, beside the point: in the blues, no matter what the vertical constitution of a chord may be, the players and listeners will always be aware of a relationship to a tonic. Consider the case of a chorale consisting of only I, IV, and V chords, but with every imaginable rule of "good" voice leading broken. (I'm certain most of my teaching colleagues will be familiar with such monsters of the imagination!) The piece may be clumsy, awkward, ugly etc., but I find it hard to support an argument that it is anything other than an example of functional tonality. Such a badly-written chorale and genres like the blues may both exhibit minimal cases of functional tonality, but an audible relationship to a tonic is the essence of a function, and I insist that this essence remains despite any deficits in voice leading. In fact, I would go so far as to insist that while a fixed voice leading regime may assist in the perception of functions, such a regime is not a necessary precondition to such perception.

Daniel Wolf