At 6:15 PM -0700 7/13/04, Mark D Lew wrote:
On Jul 13, 2004, at 6:07 PM, Aaron Sherber wrote:

I've read this a few times, and it still doesn't make sense. If a sixth note is equal to a dotted eighth, that would make the time signature 1/6 equivalent to 3/8.

That's right.

And from what I know of math and music, that doesn't seem right to me.

It's not supposed to match normal math.

Putting it a different way, 6 sixth notes gives you a whole note, ...

No, it doesn't. You're taking the "sixth note" literally, as if it really were one-sixth of a whole. That's the false assumption that leads to the fallacy.

Hmm, if you are right, then I have been misinterpreting these measures for a long time in a variety of situations. If 1/6 were indeed equal to a time sig of 3/8, then I wouldn't endorse using non-duple denominators at all, since two perfectly good conventions already exist for this situation:

1) 3/8

2) 1/dotted quarternote

I am inclined to think that my interpretation was more correct, that a sixth note IS literally a sixth of a whole note, or a quarter note triplet, since this is the kind of situation I have seen them in.

Or are there two different conventions for this? Owain, can you weigh in? Or jef, since you deal with these pretty often in your day-to-day work?

Christopher