we still haven't
ansswered the original question: how does one substitute non-traditional numbers into the
lower section of the time signature?

=====
Rob Deemer

Rather than the ponderous work-around someone else suggested, I would recommend you get yourself a copy of the MetricFonts set from The Really Loud Font Company ([EMAIL PROTECTED]). This is a set of seven fonts containing vertically-stretched time-sig. numbers, designed to sprawl across multiple staves or fill space between them. Each of the seven features a different degree of stretching. In addition, there is an unstretched font and (NB) a *blank time sig. font*. When you use this MetricFont Zero, you get invisible time sigs. that preserve the space a sig. is supposed to occupy, so you can then put in whatever graphic sig. you please without having to white-out the staff and then replace it. I have used this font many times (notably for my own works, wh. use single-digit time sigs.), and I recommend it highly.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/