At 3:10 PM -0400 7/20/04, David W. Fenton wrote:
On 20 Jul 2004 at 20:52, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

 On 20.07.2004 20:25 Uhr, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote

 > Thanks for your reply.
 >
 > I don't know about a macro utility.  Maybe I don't have one.  Unless
 > it comes bundled with Finale 2004b (Windows XP) then I don not have
 > one.
 >
 > As far as how many repetitions of the rhythm...LOTS!  So many, in
 > fact, that I sought the input from the list.  Changing them one note
 > at a time will take probably an entire day.

 That's bad luck, I guess. This would actually be a perfect task for a
 plugin, unfortunately, I don't think one exists that can do it. I'd
 love to have one that does this, though.

Actually, isn't inegal a variation on swing?

Exactly what I was going to bring up. There's no such thing as "the" way to play inegal. Sometimes swing works (i.e. triplet feel), sometimes dotted rhythm, but other times just a difference in stress will do the job very nicely. I'm thinking of the 2nd movement of Brandenburg 4, when the solo violin didn't want to use inegal (or didn't understand about it), so we recorder players used a stress inegal to good effect. A triplet or swing feel would not have worked. And of course there's a variety of possibilities between the extremes.

So, Guy, how do you plan to notate the feel for your players? The trouble with ANY modern notation solution is that it locks the players into a single feel. Makes it almost worth the trouble to teach them how to do it properly. (But probably not, if you're paying them for their time!)

JOHN

-- John & Susie Howell Virginia Tech Department of Music Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A 24061-0240 Vox (540) 231-8411 Fax (540) 231-5034 (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]) http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale