I am posting this update to my dilemma as to Finale's overall sluggishness
with a large 3.1 mb file.

Using some of the suggestions from folks here, namely Johannes and Javier
(thanks very much), I made some adjustments.  First off, I allotted 150 megs
of RAM to Finale 2K3.  I had it at 100 and I'm not entirely sure this had
any real effect.  I also created a RAM disk of around 250 megs and
preferenced Finale to deposit the temp files there.  Per Johannes
suggestion, I dialed back the undos to 20.  They were at 100.  Undo Past
Save was and still is disabled, and no backup is created when Finale saves.

Trying some of the same edits I reported yesterday, there was some
differences.

Deleting a measure in the middle of the score yesterday took 11 minutes to
complete.  Today 10 minutes.

Saving immediately after this: 3 min. down to 2 min.

Overall saves are down to about 15-20 seconds.  Much better than 45-60.

The overall feel of the program is just a bit snappier.  All in all, the
changes are somewhat marginal, albeit small.  But when you start adding them
up over many hours of editing, they become significant.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Javier, I was thinking of perhaps spending an hour or so futzing around with
this file under OS X and Finale 2K4.  I'm taking the rest of the weekend off
and going to Seattle for some R&R.  When I get back I may do this
experiment.  Thanks again for the ideas.

L8R
JD

J.D. Thomas
ThomaStudios