on 8/14/04 4:16 PM, Matthew Hindson Fastmail Account at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> Today, I tried to delete one measure, at m133 in the first act, using the
>> Measure Tool delete command.  It took Finale over 11 minutes to complete
>> the edit.  Then an immediate save took nearly 3 minutes.  Subsequent saves
>> take about 45 seconds.  Saving a backup copy in Finale is off.

> Just to let you know that you're not alone - I've found that doing extensive
> cutting, pasting and deleting in a score causes incredible slowdowns, and
> you mention that you've been doing edits for the composer.  I decided for
> one piece (a string quartet) to try working entirely within Finale, and thus
> was copying, inserting, deleting etc. with the Mass Mover tool all over the
> place.  Not recommended - apart from Finale corrupting the file several
> times, and doing things like copying and inserting 99% of a bar length
> rather than 100% causing consequent rhythmic chaos, it got to the point
> whereby even going from one note to another in speedy entry could cause a
> minute delay.  This was in a piece of about 500 bars using Finale 2002, but
> there were many, many edits before that point.

If I understand you correctly Matthew, it sounds like you may be using MM
possibly working with partial measures?  Definitely a way to pin one's
frustration meter.  I've had some very strange rhythmic anomalies if I
didn't put the cursor in exactly the right place in the measure.

I do use partial measures when laying in expressions, articulations, slurs,
hairpins, etc. using Robert's Mass Copy plugin, which works great.

FWIW, when I've been deleting and inserting measures, I always use the
Measure Tool rather than MM.  It tends to keep my optimization and layout
more intact.  Thatıs probably why it takes so long.

J.D. Thomas
ThomaStudios
West Linn  OR

http://www.thomastudios.com