dhbailey wrote:

It certainly seems like Finale's a sinking ship, what's more one with a totally unwarranted arrogance.

Makemusic's quarterly reports are available for anyone to see at their website. Finale 2004 seems to have provided a much-needed cash infusion, to the tune of a 74% increase for the most recent quarter. Their cash-flow situation is apparently positive, even if they are booking a loss for the quarter of $0.5 million. These are hardly the numbers of a sinking ship.

I've worked a good bit with Makemusic employees (entirely by email). No one has ever seemed arrogant to me. On the contrary, my contacts there are always most cordial and helpful to the extent it is possible.

I am also unhappy with some of the bugs in enhanced tuplets, but I hardly see the bugs as cause to pillory the product or the company. Finale has introduced annoying bugs with nearly every new feature they've ever added, yet here we are still using it.

To get the CDs printed and in our greedy paws requires lead time. They have to decide go/no-go long before the ship date. Any bugs that surface after the go decision have to wait for maintenance. This has been a fact of Finale life for at least a decade. For this reason, I *never* start using a new version until after the maintenance release is available.

If the Makemusic reps said they would try to fix this tuplet bug in the maintenance release, then I would take that at face value. They will be juggling many defects with limited resources to fix them. If the rep said "maybe", it just means they don't want to be held accountable if it doesn't make it. What they are probably really saying is that this bug is planned for a fix, but they can't guarantee it. We do not know what is involved. If the fix requires them to spend 8 weeks entirely rewriting and retesting enhanced tuplets, then the fix probably won't make it in.

The thing is, you can always turn the enhanced feature off, in which case you are no worse off than you are now. Even with the enhanced positioning turned off, there is still much to rejoice at in the new tuplets. The new features I like are the metric numerical centering and the new number formats.

-- Robert Patterson

http://RobertGPatterson.com